Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Is There Such A Thing As Book Burn-Out?



Is there such a thing as book burn-out? I hope not! I fear that something cynical and sinister is creeping into my brain. Perhaps, I've finally hit my book threshold where I magically become more and more particular. 

Lately, I can't seem to find a book that holds my interest. It's seriously disturbing.  Even with my careful filter intact and selective process for review, I'm not receiving the quality of books I long to read. I suppose with the amount of reading I do, it is normal to be critical.

More and more, I'm finding myself (or rather the voice in my head) shouting out things like:

REPETITIVE
TIRED
LOVE TRIANGLE
REDUNDANT
CLICHE!!!
OVER DONE
FORMULAIC 
I THINK I SAW THIS MOVIE!
(Glancing at back cover) THIS REALLY GOT PUBLISHED? Shame, shame (insert company name_____).
ORPHAN and/or at BOARDING SCHOOL (Oh, how original.)
CONVENIENT


As soon as these thoughts pop in my mind, the book is a goner. I scratch it and move on. Unfortunately, this is happening two, three, four times in a row. I'm not confessing this to be mean or snide. I'm seriously depressed by how much this is occurring.  

Someone needs to get me something good before my heart grows two sizes two small and I legally change my name to the Grinch. No self help recommendations. I'm too glum to even consider cracking that cover!  


No comments :

Post a Comment