Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Last Reads of 2012: Squeezing A Few More in...



Twitter -- we will be tweeting with hashtag #LR2012
I did kick off this read-a-thon on December 17, but this is the first chance I've had to post! The good news is I've completed a book, and I'm half way through #2.  To top it off, both books qualify for Those Books I Should Have Read Challenge I've been working on all year (hence, their priority in reading). With the completion of Bound, I will wrap up this challenge. Yay!  I did it!!!! Winning!!! If you're curious about what other reading challenges I've finished, I've tracked my progress all year long in the left side-bar <<----. Also, if you want to see what reading challenges I'm attempting in 2013, you can either click on the tab above, or peruse the badges in the lower, right side-bar --->>.

Pages 140 
Sixteen year old Arelia LaRue lives in New Orleans where the music is loud, voodoo queens inhabit every street corner, and the ghosts are alive and well. Despite her surroundings, all she wants is to help her Grand-mere Bea pay the rent and save up for college. When her best friend Sabrina convinces her to take a well-paying summer job at the infamous Darkwood plantation, owned by the wealthy LaPlante family, Arelia agrees. However, at Darkwood strange things start to happen, and gorgeous Lucus LaPlante insists that he needs her help. Soon, the powers that Arelia has been denying all her life, come out to play and she discovers mysteries about herself that she could have never imagined.
Pages 430
COMPLETED
A historical thriller set in Germany, 1660: When a dying boy is pulled from the river with a mark crudely tattooed on his shoulder, hangman Jakob Kuisl is called upon to investigate whether witchcraft is at play in his small Bavarian town. Whispers and dark memories of witch trials and the women burned at the stake just seventy years earlier still haunt the streets of Schongau. When more children disappear and an orphan boy is found dead—marked by the same tattoo—the mounting hysteria threatens to erupt into chaos. Before the unrest forces him to torture and execute the very woman who aided in the birth of his children, Jakob must unravel the truth. With the help of his clever daughter, Magdelena, and Simon, the university-educated son of the town’s physician, Jakob discovers that a devil is indeed loose in Schongau. But it may be too late to prevent bloodshed. A brilliantly detailed, fast-paced historical thriller, The Hangman’s Daughter is the first novel from German television screenwriter Oliver P√∂tzsch, a descendent of the Kuisls, a famous Bavarian executioner clan.

3 comments :

  1. I read 'bound' it was okay, but it didn't make me want to read the second book unfortunately. Oh, by the way, these two books are more like parts 1 and 2 of a story, so bound kind of finishes half-way through the storyline! Quite annoying! Hope you enjoy it more than I did :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a copy of Bound. I look forward to seeing what you think of it. Best of luck squeezing those last reads in before the new year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Books I Should Have Read:

    Seraphina by Rachel Hartman
    Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo

    ReplyDelete