Saturday, June 25, 2011



The Eyes of the Dead (A Vetala Cycle Novel)The Eyes of the Dead
Author G.R. Yeates


Passchendaele, 1917. Private Reg Wilson is a man with a name but no memories. A soldier who remembers nothing of life before the fighting began. Until he comes to Black Wood, a tainted place that knows him intimately. There, he will discover a darkness buried long ago by time and dust. An appetite that has been awoken by war. A hunger that will feed upon his blood, his regrets and his worst fears. It will show him what he has forgotten. It will show him nightmare made flesh. And, before he dies, it will make him look deep into the eyes of the dead.


Review: For me, this book comes down to personal taste. For those who like J.A. Konrath and Jack Kilborn stories, you'll probably enjoy The Eyes of the Dead. It has a slasher horror feel with scene after scene of gruesome and descriptive details. The adjectives and metaphors keep on coming and had me floating somewhere between is this a dream, a hallucination or partial reality? I kept reading hoping by the end it would pull together (all the disjointed pieces) and I'd have my 'ah-ha' moment. The surrealism grabbed my attention, but the repetition of events or rather, circling began to frustrate me a little. Midway through Kitty and Mad appear, along with the hospital. This section felt more grounded and I would have liked the story to stay a bit more planted in place. Some more gravity would have (in my opinion) provided a center for the plot. I felt the balance between the abstract and concrete was lacking.
tiny blue diamondtiny blue diamond1/2 star
Other similar books
Endurance (A Novel of Terror)Draculas: A Novel of Terror

No comments :

Post a Comment