Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Book Bloggers and Publishers Online Conference April 13-17



If you haven't heard NOW is the time to sign up for the Book Bloggers and Publishers Online Conference!  It's a week long event packed full of panels, forums and books, books, books!

This is an excellent concept because it allows bloggers, authors and publishers from everywhere to join in without the cost of travel.  If you're a new book blogger, you definitely want to check it out.  Not only will you get a load of great information, but also connect with lots of fellow book geeks.  Even though I've been around for awhile, I'm still feeling my way through the book blogging universe.  I'm always exploring what works, what doesn't and how I can make my site interesting and grow.  And, just like any conference, attendees get to leave with a book bag of goodies.  Many publishers are offering up books both in print and ebook.  Some titles are already listed, so give it a gander.  

Here are just a few of the panels I'm looking forward to attending:
  • What Publishers Look For in a Blog - find out what publishers want to see in a review site.
  • Self Publishing is Changing - What do we think? Why authors are choosing it and how self-publishing works. With the changing technology, as reviewers, are we more willing to review these titles?
  • Promoting Your Site - Discussion on both passive and active marketing ideas.
  • How to Help Authors Give Us What We Want

What I'm looking forward to discussing:
Self-Publishing (that title is so last year!) has evolved to INDEPENDENT "Indie" Publishing:

I've voiced my opinion on several occasions regarding this particular topic and will continue to support this division of the book world. I don't discriminate between traditional or independent authors, publishers and books.  I strongly believe both can peacefully and should rightfully exist in the market. At times, I've been a bit irked by the snobbery in the blogging, author and reviewing world. I'm most curious to see if the industry prejudice and opinion has evolved over the past year.  I'm not a big fan of using the 'self-publishing' label because a great deal of effort and people actually are involved in publishing a book -- there is rarely a 'self.'  I prefer to use the term, 'independent publishing,' because many authors are now hiring freelance editors, proof-readers, co-authors, marketing companies ect., but do not have a contact tied to a specific house.  

7 comments :

  1. That sounds really interesting, but I'm confused on how it works. Does it last all day everyday for that week? For those of us who work full-time, how would it be feasible? I went to the site and couldn't find that kind of stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like indie books as well, and promoting them more than some of the bigger books on my blog would be my goal. My biggest problem with "some" (many) of the indie books I've read has been that they are not edited at all. I mean, gosh, I'd like to say, "Hey, don't you have a friend that's a secretary or can proofread for you? Someone that knows that your tenses in a paragraph should match, that knows how to spell, punctuate and conjugate?". I used to try to give even those a chance, but now, I just don't have the time or the inclination. If there are tons of typos, misspellings, and misplaced punctuation, unless it's an ARC (which makes it more understandable), I just don't even finish reading it.
    I DO understand that it's hard to edit or proof your own work; all I write are short little blog posts and reviews, and I've found myself with a need to correct something even after I've looked it over and posted it.
    I guess that's my rant for today - if someone is going to put the time and effort into writing a book, pay someone a little cash to look it over and correct it before it goes to print.
    On the actual subject of your post, I'm registered for the Book Bloggers Conference (and therefore, BEA), but I am definitely going to check this one out as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The conference does go all day -- but panels and forums are recorded, so if you can't make one or miss a topic of interest, you can pull it up later when you have time. Currently, all topics will be available for 30 days after the conference and the team is hoping to extend the availability.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The cost of editing is more than a few dollars -- we're talking hundreds to thousands and that's for a freelance proofer. I can only talk from personal experience, but I recently paid to have my third novel professionally edited (by a person with superb cred), when I received the corrected proof I had two more independent readers review the text and typos and a tense problem was still found. Honestly, a lot of these silly mistakes occur during re-writes and formatting, not because the author doesn't 'know' better. Now, some were debatable -- I don't agree with all change suggestions. Again, I find a number and I do mean a number of 'mistakes' in finished mass market press books. I think people tend to overlook or perhaps, figure they are wrong when it comes to these because they assume the professionals are correct or perfectionists, which is just not true.

    I can go into any book store and pull crap off the shelf. Seasoned indie writers are leading the way and producing great quality and giving good advice -- basic trial and error is evolving. The network and support system is also growing and writers are banding together to produce wonderful works.

    I guess I'm a treasure hunter -- I enjoy finding that diamond. It makes my job interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad I found your website and your GREAT ideas. Thanks for sharing. Look forward to following, meeting, adding to your site. You're a rock star!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found your site from your post on Goodreads. Thanks for letting me know about the conference. I am definitely going to check it out!

    Cyndi
    www.cynditefft.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I did not know about this conference; thanks so much for publicizing it :)

    ReplyDelete