Monday, December 20, 2010

A Jolly By Golly Time: Decorations, Goodies and A Book





It's time!  Thanks to Melissa at Through The Looking Glass and Jen at Unedited for hosting the Be Jolly By Golly Blogfest!


My husband is a Captain and doctor in the Airforce Reserves. He has been tending to military duties for the past two weeks. I'm fortunate he was not absent longer, but it was still difficult to have him gone, especially this close to the holidays. Today, he arrived safely home. Normally, I have a green and blue theme for our formal living room tree, but I decided to change things up. To honor those serving, I have decorated everything in red, white and blue. This includes all my ornaments, lights and wrapping paper. 


As for the kids, my son Gabe is coming home from his first year of school and football at the University of Nevada.  He will be home briefly for Christmas before joining his team in San Francisco for the Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl. Go Wolfpack!  I'm so excited for the football team and can't wait to cheer on the guys!


The Big Island
My daughter Lauren who is the queen of adventure jetted off to Hawaii this week to ambitiously get her open water scuba diving certification. In her fifteen years of life thus far her adventures have included: skiing, rock wall climbing, white water rafting, zip lining and now scuba diving. I'm sure I've forgotten some dare devil stunt she's attempted and mastered! Today, she sent me this lovely picture from the big island. She ensures me she is swimming with sharks! Yikes!


What did I do? I stayed home, read and did the shopping :) With everything done, I'm ready for the entire family to be together under the same roof and in one piece!  That means no wounds, broken bones or shark bites thank you!

Our Patriotic Tree
RED, WHITE and BLUE


My favorite Party Dip Recipe
(It's so far from fat free it's ridiculous)
Neiman Marcus Dip
1/4 cup sliced almonds
4 slices bacon, cooked, crumbled and cooled
1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
1 green onion, sliced thinly
1/2 cup mayonnaise
salt (optional)


Prep Time: 10 mins Total Time: 35 mins: 
Serves 4-6


Directions:
  1. Preheat the oven to 350F.
  2. Spread almonds on a cookie sheet and toast for 10 minutes.
  3. Let cool.
  4. Combine all ingredients until well mixed.
  5. Serve with crackers or apple slices.



2010 Christmas Book of Choice

Click HERE to read my review

To see my "close to the heart," family holiday tree that is in the master bedroom and to sneak more yummy recipes, visit my author blog: "What's Charlie Talking About?"

1 comment :

  1. BlueHost is ultimately one of the best hosting company with plans for any hosting needs.

    ReplyDelete